Stress can have a lot of negative effects on the human body. From headaches and nausea, to crying and anger, everyone reacts differently. Whether at work or home, you may find yourself in high-stress situations that could send you over the edge. But, have no fear. There are many methods you can use to help navigate through these times.
Here are five simple ways to battle your stress:
1) Know your triggers. Knowing is half the battle. As advised by Entrepreneur, identifying the moments or causes of your stress is the first step. After that, you can come up with solutions to avoid or manage those situations.
2) Focus on controlling your breathing patterns. According to Harvard Help, just by consciously slowing down your breathing process, you could lower your blood pressure and decrease your heart rate. Meditation is a great way to achieve this, and there are even free meditation apps.
3) Exercise. Stress can build up and affect your mental state and happiness, but working off that negative energy through basic exercise is a great way to reduce the effects of stress.
4) Watch what you eat and drink. Your body needs healthy fuel throughout the day to keep it moving. Women’s Health states that just by swapping your energy drink or pop for green tea, you could reduce your stress due to the calming properties of the beverage.
5) Unplug from technology. Stepping away from your screen could help relieve the negative effects stress can have on your eyes. HuffPost suggests taking frequent breaks from your computer during the day and trying to stay offline for at least an hour before bed.
While all of these methods can help you de-stress, if it starts to feel overwhelming or like too much, you should never be afraid to ask for help. For more information visit crisisservices.org.